Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Addicted to Diet Coke

The hardest part of my weight loss plan is giving up Diet Coke.  I don't know why it's so addicting or why I crave it during certain times of the month.  I've been trying to cut back and limit myself to 8 oz.of Diet Coke a day. When I become stressed that 8 oz of Diet Coke easily becomes 32 oz. of Diet Coke  When it's close to my menstral cycle that 32 oz. of Diet Coke becomes 64 oz. of Diet Coke. Is it the salt or caffiene that I'm craving?  The kids come home from school, there's a fight over completing homework the 64 oz. of  Diet Coke becomes 96 oz. of Diet Coke.  How many ounces are in a gallon?  Did I really drink that much? Am I really addicted to Diet Coke? I've read the ingredient list nothing there remotely looks like it could be addicting. Carbonated Water, Caramel Color, Aspartame, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Benzoate, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Caffeine.  A quick google search confirms my suspicions, Aspartame contains Phenylalanine it is used as an alagesic and antidepressant, Phosphoric Acid helps to cause a loss of bone density, Potassium Benzoate is used as a preservative but when mixed with sodium and Citric Acid become benzen a known carcinogen, Natural Flavors can be anything approved for use in food, Citric Acid is another preservative and is used to add acidic or sour taste to food, Caffiene of course is a stimulant and dirutic. Truth be told Diet Coke is not that healthy. Maybe it's the dopamine effect of the Phenylalanine in the Aspartame that I'm addicted to?  Either way I just need to quit drinking it and watch my weight loss increase.

Weight for today is 222.6 Total Weight Loss Todate 1.2 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment